Thursday, September 2, 2010

1st Post-Welcome

Hi everyone.  I have been collecting autographs both in person and through the mail for a few years, after taking a break from the hobby for about 10 years.  As I continued to send out requests, I noticed that I was frequently gravitating toward the 1987 Topps baseball cards, and I decided to attempt to get the entire set autographed. 
A couple of logistical problems: The set is 792 cards large, there are 6 checklists in the set, and there are 26 Team Leaders cards.  I decided to subtract those, and I am left with 760 total autographable.  Unfortunately, 5 of the players are deceased, and one of them (Kirby Puckett) is on two cards, so those will be a bit tougher. 

Compounding these problems is the fact that I like to do things on the cheap if I can.  So, I really don't want to spend $100 on a Mike Schmidt auto.

So, for the most part, I am doing TTM to current coaches and managers, and retired players, or the players that only charge a small fee for signing. 

I handwrite every letter to the former players, and I work a full-time job and have a family, so basically I mail out about 5-10 requests per week, and I get back a few.

My purpose of this blog will be to update everyone on my pursuit of every autograph, and let you know who I still need, or who I have extras of.  I will probably not have too many images or photos unfortunately, as I am not set-up for that at this time!

If you have any extra 1987 Topps baseball available for trade or for sale cheaply, let me know!

Thanks

-arfmax

No comments:

Post a Comment